Omega-3 Fatty Acids and your Health
Omega-3 fatty acids (FA), are a wonderful source of fat in the body, the good kind. Two of the most important omega 3’s, that the body can’t produce on it’s own are DHA and EPA. Fatty acids are mainly derived from fish (salmon, herring, anchovies, tuna, sardines, and trout) and nuts and oils (flaxseed, walnuts, soybean, and canola). But the 2 important ones, DHA and EPA can only be derived from animal or fish sources. That’s why most omega 3 supplements come from fish oil. If you’re a vegetarian, there are even vegetarian omega 3 supplements (click HERE).
How Do Omega 3’s Help My Body?
They are also responsible for many other miraculous things that you may not be aware of. Here is a list of just a few of the conditions that omega-3 fatty acids can help with.
- Triglycerides – Omega-3 FA can lower the triglycerides found in the blood and lower your risk for heart disease at the same time.
- Rheumatoid arthritis – These good fats can curb stiffness and joint pain. They also work to increase the effectiveness of anti-inflammatory drugs. This is extremely important in inflammatory disorders like multiple sclerosis, lupus, irritable bowel syndrome, Crohn’s disease, fibromyalgia, allergies, psoriasis, and eczema.
- Depression – These FA’s work to decrease the symptoms of depression and they also increase the effectiveness of antidepressants.
- Baby development – Omega-3 FA’s are necessary for visual and neurological development in infants.
- Asthma – Omega-3 FA can decrease inflammation, which is the key component in asthma.
- ADHD – FA’s can be helpful in reducing the symptoms of ADHD and may improve cognitive skills.
- Alzheimer’s disease – These fatty acids can be used to protect the increasing symptoms of Alzheimer’s and dementia.
- Immune system – Omega FA’s help to heal damaged cells and that keeps your immune system boosted and ready for any attacks.
Sometimes, you cannot obtain the required omega-3 fatty acids needed from a daily diet. Supplementation may be the answer, but the dosing should be discussed with your doctor. Some individuals with heart disease may take these fatty acid supplements and make bleeding more likely to occur. The reason for this is that omega 3’s naturally keep your blood viscosity normal. In other words, they naturally thin the blood. If someone is on blood thinners, they need to speak to their doctor about taking omega 3 supplements.
The main side effects of omega-3 supplements are usually minor involving burping and indigestion. Supplements with enteric coatings are great at preventing these side effects.
So, what supplement should you consider? One that is extremely beneficial to your health and devoid of minor side effects because of its enteric coating is made by Fundamental Earth and called Fundamental Omega-3. This product is obtained from wild-caught fish that is not farm-raised. This product is molecularly distilled to remove mercury and other toxins that may be present in the fish oil. It is enteric coated to prevent burping and side effects of indigestion. There is also no fishy taste involved with this supplement. The capsules are fairly large, as in the above photo, and it is not a chewable omega 3.
Omega-3 fatty acids are an amazing way to supplement the body and prevent and reduce the symptoms of several disorders that may be occurring in the body. This supplement is extremely beneficial to the health of the entire body and can truly improve the condition of so many systems. It is also known to help with improving the effects of antidepressants and anti-inflammatory drugs as well. The only concern is determining the dose that is beneficial and not harmful, so check with your doctor before starting any supplementation programs.